Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I Want the Government to Do My Taxes

c0 picture of a broken pencil over a US 1040 tax formThe government knows more about me than I know about myself. They know how much I make, what I pay in taxes, how many children I have, whether or not I'm disabled or a farmer or received a military pension or bought or sold a home etc etc etc.

The government could press a button and file my taxes for me.

The only reason they make me do it myself is to catch me in a lie. But I'm on the up an up. I don't dislike the government or the IRS or even tax forms. I just don't like the time it all takes and I wish the government would just do it for me.[1]

I don't like numbers and I don't like being held accountable for numbers by people who like numbers. I don't care about the national debt, the fiscal cliff or all the lemmings jumping over it. I can't fix any of it and I don't trust the folks that say they can.

If we cut all the stuff out of our lives that we do just because others think we don't know what they know, we'd double the time we have to do something worth our time.

I wish the human economy ran on words.

Everybody would have to write a term paper
due April 15 on "What I plan to do with my tax refund." The better your grade, the more you get back.

c0

[1]
I know, I know, there are a few folks reading this that think I'm really naive and the last thing a person in his right mind would do is give the government more control over his life.

Look, I'm a lot closer to the grave than I am the cradle and what free
time I have I give to my wife, my precious children, God, and this blog. And when I'm gone, those are the only things that will remain. Anything that gives me more time with them is a good thing.

c0

Started: 2013-02-24

1 comment: