Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Rhythm of Rudeness

c0 Stephanie Tanner from the old TV Show "Full House" often said "How Rude!"There seems to be a change in how human bodies interact with other human bodies, at least in my universe. People are less likely to hold the door for you, say thank you when you hold it for them, or accommodate your path through their personal space in a stairwell, hallway, doorway, etc.

I'm sure this is normal in big cities, but it's new(er) for me in this city.

If I might share a short story along this line from a trip to Chicago, at a fancy hotel in the financial district. I was in line at the counter to check in, behind someone else. They finished their business and moved on. I inched forward and waited to be called by the receptionist, who was finalizing paperwork.

I left what in my experience is a comfortable distance between me and someone waiting to call me forward. It's the same distance I use at the bank, the pharmacy counter, the Secretary of State, etc. Approximately three feet.

Apparently, in Chicago that distance means I am loitering, for an eager woman huffed and moved into that space and was promptly served. The receptionist didn't say anything like "that gentleman was waiting." In fact, it went downhill from there. When I did reach the counter, I was treated very rudely, and when I got to my room, a clerk called up to say my credit card had been declined.

The card was fine. I told him to try it again, and if I have to come down and discuss this at the receptionist's desk, it will be unpleasant.

He didn't call back.

I'm inclined to be angry, but what's the point. There are a gabillion small people in the world who think they are more important than others.

As Truman Capote said, the rich are different than you and I. (For all of Truman's wit
and wealth, he was rejected by the rich and famous he so much admired.)

c0


I don't travel much, but I have stayed in some large cities and fancy hotels and I know the etiquette. You can probably tell that if I have a choice, I prefer Holiday Inn, a continental breakfast and cup of coffee in the morning, and maybe a copy of USA Today.

 

c0 in this comic, a woman asks a man, "Did you stick your tongue out?" and he responds "Only to lick a stamp."



c0


I don't understand the rhythm of rudeness. It does have a cadence[1]. You have to shrug and move on. Some folks are accustomed to putting themselves before others.
 
 
 
c0

[1]
Folks who know me know that I hate the word "cadence"
when it's used in a business context - eg, for the interval of a media campaign. I'm twinging a bit using it here. It's a form of self-therapy. Cadence cadence cadence cadence....

c0



Started: 2013-02-07

1 comment:

  1. Re: People are Rude - I've had that same feeling, but always chalked it up to a: "Things sure aint like when we were comin' up." mentality. Maybe so, or maybe not. But either way, most folks seem to be in a world of their own - very out of tune with what going on around them.

    ReplyDelete