Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Decorating the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans.

Last week I helped decorate the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans. I have to tell you that I didn’t come up with this very nice idea on my own, but I was invited by my office.


I wanted to share a few pictures. Out of respect for those with me, I tried to keep others at a distance.


The first tree we decorated was in the chapel, and I was really humbled by its simplicity and beauty.



View ot the chapel from the back, Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

c0  View ot the chapel from the back, Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

 

Finished Christmas tree in the chapel at Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

c0  Finished Christmas tree in chapel at Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

This was very interesting to me: A portion of the dais rotates. One side is for Protestant services, the other for Catholic. I thought that was an interesting solution. Each service contains the other within it, it’s just turned around so it can’t be easily seen. There something unfortunate and at same time refreshing in that.



The Protestant side of the dais at the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

c0 The Protestant side of the dais at the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

 

The Catholic side of the dais at the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

c0 The Catholic side of the dais at the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

This picture is haunting. I’m told it was painted by the man sitting second from right; he was a resident at the home for many years and has since died.


The painting is very large, and if you spend much time with it, you soon gravitate to the edges, where shadowy soldiers are looking back while marching away (their younger selves, perhaps, or comrades that didn’t return with those now playing cards at the table).



A picture in the dining hall at the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

c0 A picture in the dining hall at the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

The staff was extraordinary and the residents some of the most spirited and friendly people I’ve ever met. It was a privilege to be invited into their home.



[2013-11-11]


c0


No comments:

Post a Comment