Thursday, November 28, 2013

Who do atheists give thanks to?

c0 Vintage Happy ThanksgivingWho do atheists give thanks to? There’s certainly an enormous number of things to give thanks for, regardless of your religious convictions (or lack thereof).


I suppose you could thank another human being, but that’s something we do every day, when we get change at the register, or a waitress delivers our food, or someone holds the door for us.


Thanksgiving is a different sort of thing, and not just because Abraham Lincoln said so; it encourages an elevated gratefulness.


But perhaps there is someone right here on Earth that deserves our gratitude.


Yes, I think so.


Many of us wear glasses, are hard of hearing, on medication, use a walker, or have other conditions that would have cost us our lives in more ruthless times.


So we certainly should be thankful to those who are of sounder mind and body that have let those less fortunate live another year despite our infirmities, and to enjoy a turkey that alas, has not.


[2013-11-26]


c0

An update on Pecuniary Gluttony

An update on this post for perspective (“I'd be ashamed to spend this much observing a day that encourages thankfulness.” >): I spent $149 here >[1] on my Thanksgiving dinner to feed 6 adults, which included a 15lb turkey and new roasting pan, stuffing, squash, potatoes, cranberry sauce, rolls, green beans and casserole ingredients, two pies, and enough sausage and eggs and biscuits and bagels to get us through a couple breakfasts.


[2013-11-25]


c0

 

[1]

I am very proud to work for this company, but policy prohibits linking without VP approval. I figure my VPs have more important things to worry about 4 days before Black Friday. And as I add a final period to this sentence, I go to do the same.


c0



No comments:

Post a Comment