Sunday, November 17, 2013

Why do we insist on the impractical? (my trouser taxonomy)

c0 Charlie Chaplin no doubt referred to his pants as 'trousers'Why do we insist on the impractical? Especially when it comes to dress.

For nearly an entire month leading up to the holidays [last year], my VP was very generous and permitted jeans at the office so long as we weren't meeting with outside business partners.


Then my wife had a baby, and I spent two weeks at home wearing jeans every day.

Now, my favorite jeans are what you call "carpenter jeans." I don't use the loop, but I use every pouch and pocket, and I became accustomed to using them every day for six weeks.

Now it's back to slacks, and I have four places to keep things:

1. My left front pocket (phone)

2. My right front pocket (keys and change)

3. A watch pocket sewn inside my right front pocket (USB drive)

4. And my right rear pocket (wallet)


(I keep my left rear pocket empty to stay on good terms with my sacroiliac, which likes to complain sometimes.)

If I have to carry anything else, It messes up my trouser taxonomy.

Other impractical things I'd deep-six if it were up to me: neckties, collar stays, laces, or anything else that takes more than 2 seconds to fasten or unfasten.


 

[2013-01-15]

 

c0

Does the word “trousers” date me? That’s what my Grandpa Cairns called “pants.” I thought it was old-fashioned then, but realized only now that I was using it without even thinking about it, I suppose because of the alliteration with “taxonomy.”


[2013-11-14]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment