Saturday, November 23, 2013

Parable of the Bee

c0 a bee sees light at the ultraviolet end of the spectrum that humans cannot seeA Bee, a Dog, and a Man were looking at a flower.

"Isn't that beautiful," said the Bee. It's such a pretty shade of violet.”


"That’s not violet," said the Man. “It’s yellow. Are you blind?"


"Is that yellow?” asked the Dog. “I’ve always called it ‘gray.’”


Bee: But it IS a flower, right?

  Man: Yep.

     Dog: Yep.

Bee: And I can still get pollen from it, right?

  Man: I guess so.

     Dog: I guess so.

Bee: So what does it matter what color it is?

  Man: Because you’re missing the full beauty it has to offer.

     Dog: What’s ‘violet’?

Bee: But I’m incapable of seeing it any other way.

  Man: So am I.

     Dog: So am I.

Bee: And I have to see it this way in order to find it and collect my pollen.

  Man: And I have to see it this way in order to coordinate it with my garden.

     Dog: I wish I could see it either way.


Then an Ant joined them and said, “What are you all talking about?”


“The nature of this flower,” said the Bee.


“Why, that’s not a flower,” said the Ant. “That’s a tree.”


[2013-11-19]


c0

No comments:

Post a Comment